Find out everything you need to know about getting your dental crown on the same day.
Need to get a dental crown? If so, Dr. Mehr Tucker of our Rockville, MD, dental practice could give you a new restoration in just one appointment thanks to CEREC crowns. Read on to get all of your questions answered regarding same-day crowns and to find out if they are right for you.
What are same-day crowns?
Same-day crowns look identical to regular crowns (i.e. the tooth-shaped cap that is designed to cover a damaged or weakened tooth). In fact, same-day crowns are the same as traditional crowns, the only difference is that this crown can be designed, made, and placed by our Rockville, MD, dentist in just one visit instead of 2-to-3 different appointments.
What are the steps involved in getting a CEREC crown?
If you’re interested in getting same-day crowns, you probably want to know what’s involved in getting them. Here are the steps,
- Tooth preparation: Before you can get a crown, we will need to file down part of the tooth in order to make room for the restoration. The area around the tooth will be numbed beforehand.
- Measurements: Once the tooth has been prepped, we will take digital impressions of your mouth. These will provide precise measurements of your tooth from which we can create a perfectly fitted crown.
- Design: Next, we will use special CAD software to design your crown based on measurements provided by the digital images.
- Fabrication: We will then choose the ceramic or porcelain block that most closely matches the color of your tooth. We place this block in the milling station, which will chisel out your new restoration while you wait.
- Bonding: Now the crown is ready to be fitted to the tooth. We will check to make sure that the crown fits just right before finally cementing it permanently into place.
How long does it take to get a same-day crown?
It can take about two hours from tooth preparation to placing the crown, however, the crown only needs about 15 minutes to be made. With traditional crowns, you’d have to wait about two weeks.
How long will the crown last?
Same-day crowns can last up to five years or more, provided that you properly care for your new restoration. In addition to keeping your crown clean and avoiding bad habits that could fracture or crack the restoration, make sure that you are also visiting your dentist every six months for routine cleanings and exams.
Give us a call!
Are you interested in getting CEREC crowns in Rockville, MD? If so, call our office today at (301) 963-8900 to find out if this is the best approach for improving your smile.