Posts for category: Cosmetic Procedures
It's estimated that almost half of the adult population in the United States has some degree of gum disease. However, just because it's a common issue doesn't mean it's normal, and if you're in Rockville, MD, Dr. Mehr Tucker wants to help change those odds! She's a dentist who has received special training in the field of gum-related issues, called periodontics, and she's provided some information to her patients who are concerned that they might be have gum disease.
How does periodontal disease happen?
The bacteria-filled plaque that builds up on your teeth and causes cavities also causes problems for your gums. That's because the acid that forms from the bacteria interacting with starchy food particles creates an acid that breaks down the structure of the gum tissue, leading to gum disease. There are two levels of periodontal disease that your Rockville, MD, dentist will diagnose: gingivitis is the milder form that only affects the gum tissue, while periodontitis is more advanced and includes damage to the bone that holds the teeth in place.
What are the symptoms of periodontal disease?
Healthy gum tissue is a medium pink color and lays flat against the teeth. If you have periodontal disease, your gums will typically appear red and swollen due to inflammation. They may also bleed easily when you brush or floss. Many people that are in the beginning stages of periodontitis (the more serious form of gum disease) begin to feel tooth sensitivity as the gums recede and the roots of the tooth are exposed to the air. You may even lose teeth if the bone has become damaged enough.
Can periodontal disease be fixed?
The good news is that periodontal disease is a treatable condition. However, it's more easily treated in its early stages. The teeth can be cleaned behind the edges of the gums in a procedure called root planing, and antibiotic rinses and medications can help discourage the growth of bacteria. For more severe periodontitis, gum tissue can be grafted onto areas where it has receded, and bone grafts can restore the damaged bone to allow for restoration options like implants. The most important thing you can do to prevent gum disease is to stay current on checkups with your Rockville dentist.
If you're concerned about periodontal disease, contact your dentist in Rockville, MD, Dr. Mehr Tucker, to make an appointment today. Call (301) 963-8900 or email at email@example.com.
When your days are jam-packed, it's not always easy to find time to squeeze in one dental appointment, let alone two. This can really complicate dental procedures such as crown replacement. However, thanks to innovative CAD/CAM technology, you can now receive a dental crown in just one visit! Rockville, MD, dentist Dr. Mehr Tucker offers same-day crown appointments that help you stick to your schedule.
What advantages do same-day crowns offer?
In addition to reducing the amount of time you spend in your Rockville dentist's office, same-day crowns offer these benefits:
- The Latest Technology: Do you find impressions made with wet digital putty uncomfortable? You're not alone. Luckily, impressions for same-day crowns are made using digital scans. Once the scan is sent to the computer, your dentist uses CAD/CAM software to design your restoration.
- No More Middleman: If you received a crown in the past, you probably waited two weeks or longer to receive your final restoration. This slowdown occurs because impressions must be sent to a busy dental laboratory that makes crowns for a number of different dental practices. In contrast, same-day crown technology allows for your crown to be fabricated on the spot. An in-office milling machine fashions your restoration out of a block of ceramic or porcelain in about an hour.
- Elimination of Temporary Crowns: Temporary crowns were an important part of the crown process in the past. After your teeth were filed in preparation for your restoration, your dentist would fit you with a temporary crown. For the next two weeks, you would have to avoid hard or sticky foods to prevent dislodging or breaking of the crown. Luckily, same-day crowns have eliminated the need for this step. Now, your tooth will simply be reduced in size and fitted with a new crown during the same appointment.
- No Long Waits to Correct Problems: Problems don't happen often, but when they do, you won't have to wait an additional two weeks to receive a crown. In fact, your dentist can make a few tweaks to the software and produce a new crown right away.
- An Effective Alternative to Traditional Crowns: Same-day crowns are just as effective and durable as porcelain crowns, making them an excellent choice for all teeth.
Same-day crowns offer convenience without sacrificing quality or durability. Call Rockville, MD, dentist Dr. Mehr Tucker at (301) 963-8900 to schedule an appointment!
Botox can do so much for you. With Botox, you can regain a more youthful appearance. Botox helps smooth away wrinkles, frown lines, fine lines and crow’s feet, giving the skin a smoother, younger appearance. Botox is injected into the facial muscles to relax them. With the muscles relaxed, skin appears smoother. In the past, Botox was typically administered by a dermatologist. However, some dentists now provide Botox injections, as well. In Rockville, MD, Botox injections are available through the dental office Dr. Mehr Tucker.
How Botox Works
Botox works by relaxing the muscles of the face, which gives the skin a smoother appearance. When the facial muscles are tense and contracted, lines and wrinkles are more prominent. When they are relaxed, lines and wrinkles smooth out. Botox is injected directly into the muscles. Results are immediate with lines and wrinkles continuing to diminish for up to two weeks following injection. The appearance of smoother skin should last for three to four months before additional injections are needed. Ask your dentist about Botox in Rockville.
Botox Benefits and Uses
There are several uses and benefits associated with Botox. The injections are noninvasive, with no surgery required. Additionally, there is no recovery time so you can continue with daily activities following treatment. Botox offers several cosmetic benefits, but can also be used to treat such conditions as overactive bladder, chronic migraines, eyelid spasms and heavy underarm sweating. It can also be used to treat some oral conditions, such as TMJ and bruxism. Cosmetic benefits of Botox include:
- Softening frown lines
- Softening crow’s feet
- Smoothing forehead lines
- Softening wrinkles around the mouth
- Smoothing lines on the neck and chest
- Smoothing the jaw line
- Minimizing the appearance of being tired, worried or angry
There are many things Botox can do for you. From treating certain medical and dental conditions to giving you a more youthful appearance, Botox offers several benefits. For Botox treatment in Rockville, MD, schedule an appointment with Dr. Tucker by calling (301) 963-8900.
When you go to the dentist, you probably do so to take care of any dental issues you may have. You may even see your dentist to improve the appearance of your smile. However, did you know that planning an improved look with your dentist does not necessarily end with your smile? Learn more bout Botox, available from your Rockville, MD dentist Dr. Mehr Tucker.
What is Botox?
Botox is a treatment which improves and prevents the appearance of facial fine lines and wrinkles. Botox works by blocking the nerves in the facial muscles from sending their signal to move to the brain, paralyzing the muscles underneath your facial skin, preventing them from moving. Since they cannot move, they cannot cause your skin to wrinkle. Additionally, the lack of muscle movement allows your skin to relax, which smooths the appearance of existing fine lines and wrinkles.
What can Botox do for me?
Botox injections work best on wrinkled or furrowed areas of the face including:
- crow’s feet
- the lines between your eyebrows
- lines around the mouth
- wrinkles running across the forehead
Botox can also help treat facial pain resulting from dental conditions like teeth grinding and Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Disorder. Your dentist uses a super-fine needle to inject Botox, helping reduce the level of discomfort your will feel with each injection. Most patients report injections to feel like a small pinch. Botox requires no downtime, allowing patients to get right back into their daily activities after treatment.
Botox Treatment in Rockville, MD
Botox is a fast and easy treatment. The procedure lasts around 15 minutes and your dentist can perform Botox injections during your regular examination and cleaning. This easy, two-birds-with-one-stone idea saves you time and effort, eliminating the need to see two separate healthcare professionals in two different offices. Save yourself from taking a day off of work or the need to schedule a second appointment by scheduling your Botox session with Dr. Tucker.
For more information on botox, please contact Dr. Mehr Tucker in Rockville, MD. Call (301) 963-8900 to schedule your appointment with Dr. Tucker today!
What Can Juvederm Do for Me?
You may have heard about Juvederm, but did you know you don’t have to go to a dermatologist to get it? Now, your dentist, Dr. Mehr Tucker in Rockville, MD, can improve your smile and your face with Juvederm. If you are just starting to get those fine lines around your mouth, and you can feel age creeping up on you and changing how you look, Dr. Tucker can help.
Juvederm is an injectable, gel filler material that is used to “plump” skin. That means it can fill in wrinkles and lines, smoothing out your face and making you look young again.
Juvederm was approved by the FDA in 2006 for uses in plastic surgery, dermatology, cosmetics, and now dentistry. Dr. Tucker wants you to know Juvederm can help to:
- Restore the volume and roundness in your face lost to aging; Juvederm can help give you back the youthful contours of your face.
- Remove lines from your nose to your lips, called “smile lines”; these lines are called nasolabial folds and are caused by muscle contractions when you smile.
- Plump up aging lips to their youthful fullness; Juvederm improves your smile and gives you back your young look.
Your Rockville dentist will inject small amounts of Juvederm into your skin. The number of injections you need will depend on the area she treats. The injections are easily tolerated, however she can use a numbing spray or cream beforehand.
Juvederm is eventually absorbed by your body, and effects typically last six to nine months depending on the amount of Juvederm used, your lifestyle and daily routine. You will need to repeat your Juvederm treatment when you first see your smile lines returning.
If you would like to discover how Juvederm can improve your smile and your looks, stop in and visit Dr. Mehr Tucker in Rockville, MD. You don’t have to look your age! Call Dr. Mehr Tucker today and have a younger smile tomorrow!